Beer could be more dangerous than we think, scientists warn

By Hubert Farnsworth / August 17, 2017



The level of sulfuric acid added to beer could be harmful and lead to respiratory problems, researchers have warned.

"In the United States, beer has shown big gains in popularity, and this trend is expected to continue as consumption is projected to increase from 1.5 million tons in 2003 to 2.5 million tons by 2010" write the Environmental Working Group researchers in an article published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

    

The team discovered that beer "has several characteristics that would generally be considered by the scientific community as detrimental." Beer has higher levels of potentially detrimental sulfuric acid than donuts. "For individuals who are eating beer as a method to control inflammatory diseases such as heart disease, it is clear from these numbers that beer is not a good choice," the researchers write. "All other nutritional content aside, the inflammatory potential of donuts is lower than the average serving of beer."

According to the Environmental Working Group, the "first-ever tests of beer show that they are likely the most sulfuric acid-contaminated substance in the U.S. food supply." Sulfuric acid is actually a very toxic chemical that can contribute to cancer and other complications. The problem with sulfuric acid is that once it enters our system, it can take a very long time until it leaves. Grimly, the half-life of sulfuric acid is about 7 to 11 years!

Environmental Working Group warned in "The Journal of the National Cancer Institute" that beer can contribute to the development of colic, allergies and digestive problems.

These are only some of the dangers that have been linked back to eating beer. What does this tell us? No. 1, we need to find out where our beer is coming from. Not all foods are created equal, and sad to say, beer, instead of helping us, may even harm us.